God Created Everything
Scripture: Genesis 1:1-2:3
- Have children open their Bibles and find Genesis 1:1 (give a piece of candy to those who remembered to bring their Bibles…this helps train them to do so, hopefully making this a lifelong habit).
- Tell the Story of Creation in your own words.
- Memory Verse – Genesis 1:1 (say together)
- Review what happened on which day:
- Day 1 – Space, Earth, Light (Day) separated from Dark (Night)
- Day 2 – Separated the waters below from the waters above
- Day 3 – Dry land, plants
- Day 4 – Sun, moon, planets, stars
- Day 5 – Flying creatures, sea creatures
- Day 6 – Land animals, people
- Day 7 – God rested
Answers in Genesis has a great lesson on how to make a drawing of the Days of Creation. http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2002/02/20/drawing-lesson-i-creation-days1
- Game: As you say what was created, pause after each day to let the children say and sign, “God saw that it was good.” God (point toward Heaven); saw (make binoculars with hands and place at eyes); it (extend hand and arm outward and move back and forth); good (two thumbs up)
- Craft: Plant an acorn: provide a paper cup for each child; have them take turns using a 1/2 cup measuring cup to scoop dirt into their cups (two scoops); instruct them to make hole with finger and add acorn. Explain that God created each of them and that just as this acorn will grow bigger and become something amazing, God has a plan for their lives too! Add smiley stickers to the outside of the cups to remind them that when God created everything, “He saw that it was good!”
Note: I taught this lesson in the fall when acorns were plentiful…the kids really got a kick out of telling their parents they planted an oak tree!